COVID-19 NOTE: Fortunately, PLANET3 is in no way affected by this crap (for now). Feel free to mail in your orders.
What is planet3?
PLANET3 is an easily installed and reversible way to derestrict your e-bike. It uses a purely mechanical design utilizing a patent pending planetary gear set which makes it undetectable to the bike's electronic gizmos and gives you full control over the choice of speed at which you want to ride your bike.
No more pushing through pudding after hitting the speed limit, virtually no maintanace and no worries. Just you and your e-bike - the way it was meant to be!
Early bird orders
Pricing has been updated February 2020 to partly cover the increase in DHL Express shipping cost and is as follows:
- 2019-2020 Specialized Turbo Levo (Gen2) - 100 EUR
- 2020 Specialized Turbo Levo SL - 100 EUR
- 2020 Specialized Turbo Kenevo (Gen2) - 100 EUR
- 2020 Specialized Turbo Creo SL - 110 EUR (S-Works & Expert) & 120 EUR (Comp models, due to replacement hub end cap); dual planet configurations +10 EUR
- other Specialized models (Levo Gen1, Kenevo Gen1, Vado, Como) - 90 EUR
- 2020 Cube Stereo (most models) - 110 EUR (Center Lock ring included)
- Rocky Mountain Altitude & Instinct PowerPlay - 100 EUR (Center Lock models +5 EUR for lock ring)
- Focus SAM2 & JAM2 - 100 EUR (DT Swiss hub) & 110 EUR (Novatec hub, due to hub end cap)
- Giant Trance E+ Pro 2019 - 120 EUR (eTracker hub end cap included)
- Giant Trance E+ Pro 2020 - 100 EUR (all models except the European E+ 3 Pro which is 110 EUR due to hub end cap for eTracker hub)
- Giant Reign E+ Pro 2020 - 100 EUR (all models except the European E+ 2 Pro which is 110 EUR due to hub end cap for eTracker hub)
- 2019 YT Industries Decoy - 110 EUR (base model) & 120 EUR (mid and top model, due to e*thirteen end cap)
If you're on a hub that's compatible but needs a different end cap (such as Hope Pro4, NOVATEC, e*thirteen E-SPEC) the price goes up 10 EUR for the end cap (already included in the YT, Focus & Giant pricing).
Payments can currently be made via PayPal to paypal.me/planet3bike or via bank transfer to localized banking details in GBP, EUR, USD, AUD, NZD & PLN courtesy of TransferWise, saving us both ~5% in unnecessary PayPal fees. If you'd like to pay via Credit card, you can do that also via PayPal without having an account.
There is also the following discount scheme for volume purchasing which also offsets the price bump of DHL Express shipping on multiple units:
- 2 - 3 units = 5% discount
- 4 - 9 units = 10% discount
- 10 - 19 units = 15% discount
- 20+ units = 20% discount
So, might as well call up a buddy or two and get a group buy going! 😊
As of February 12th 2020 PLANET3 is shipped worldwide via DHL Express!
Shipping via DHL Express is included in the price for most of the world! However, DHL Express cost for Zone 7 carries an extra fee of 10 EUR. Please see DHL zones PDF and/or DHL zone 7 map to check if you're located in Zone 7 (most notably: Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and South America). Also, regardless of the DHL zone you're in - if you live in a Remote Area (ZIP code list) there is a 5 EUR fee. Furthermore, shipping to physical entities via DHL Express is NOT possible for Russian Federation.
DHL Express ensures next day delivery for most of the EU and the East Coast of the USA, while the transit time for the rest of the world is 2-4 days.
Please allow 1 day of handling time for me to produce/assemble these units since they’re all in pieces and are assembled for each order.
PLANET3 is currently compatible (fully tested, working & shipping to customers via DHL Express) with the following models assuming they’re on the stock wheelset/hub & brake rotor that they came with:
- Specialized Turbo Levo SL (2020)
- Specialized Turbo Creo SL (2020)
- Specialized Turbo Kenevo 2nd Gen (2020)
- Specialized Turbo Levo 2nd Gen (2019 - 2020)
- Specialized Turbo Levo 6Fattie (2016 - 2018)
- Specialized Turbo Levo HT (Hardtail)
- Specialized Turbo Levo HT Comp 6Fattie
- Specialized Turbo Kenevo (2018 - 2019)
- Specialized Turbo Vado (2018 - 2020)
- Specialized Turbo Como (2018 - 2020)
- YT Industries Decoy (2019 - 2020)
- Rocky Mountain Altitude PowerPlay (2018 - 2020, all models)
- Rocky Mountain Instinct PowerPlay (2019 - 2020, all models)
- Focus SAM2 (2018-2019, Shimano drive, Novatec & DT Swiss hubs only)
- Focus JAM2 (2018-2019, Shimano drive, Novatec & DT Swiss hubs only)
- Giant Trance E+ Pro (2019 - 2020, all models)
Hub compatibility for now includes the following:
- Specialized stock hubs (2018 - 2019, also known as Formula, HiLo, Stout XC Pro, XLC Evo)
- Specialized stock hubs (2020, Formula E-bike hub)
- Roval SL hubs (DT Swiss re-brand featured on top models; both 6-bolt and Center Lock variants)
- DT Swiss hubs (including new Hybrid; both 6-bolt and Center Lock variants)
- Hope Pro4 148 boost (requires a modified end cap provided by PLANET3 - 10 EUR extra)
- Syntace HighTorque MX (MicroAdjust has to be replaced with the regular end cap)
- SRAM 746 (same as Specialized hubs, featured on Rocky Mountain e-bikes)
- e*thirteen E-SPEC Race & PLUS (featured on the YT Decoy models, requires a modified end cap provided by PLANET3 - 10 EUR extra)
- NOVATEC D162SB (featured on most Focus e-bikes, requires a modified end cap provided by PLANET3 - 10 EUR extra)
- Giant eTracker Boost (requires a modified end cap provided by PLANET3 - 10 EUR extra)
- Giant e-TRX, e-TR1, eTRX DBL, eTR1 DBL
- Bontrager Line Elite 30/40 (hub seems to be the same on Pro/Comp)
- Shimano MT400, MT501, SLX and XT Center Lock hubs (require a modified end cap provided by PLANET3 - 10 EUR extra)
If you have upgraded your stock wheelset to ANYTHING else (Industry9, Newmen, Chris King, Superstar Components, Nukeproof etc etc.) please contact us first! (and only if this seems to be a popular hub option that many people might find themselves on and you’re willing to do some measuring with Vernier calipers)
Brake rotor compatibility notes – We’ve tried to make PLANET3 compatible with as many 6-bolt rotors as possible. This includes any flat 1-piece rotor on the market (Shimano RT66, SRAM Centerline, many others) and Shimano RT76 & RT86 2-piece rotors. However, here are some exceptions and combinations which we know CAN’T FIT (due to room constraints on the frame):
- older version of Hope Saw rotor (2,9 mm thick center) on almost any bike
- newer version of Hope Floating rotor (2,6 mm thick center) on Turbo Kenevo and Gen1 Turbo Levo FSR with stock Specialized hubs. If you have a Hope Pro4 148 hub and Hope Floating rotor - then PLANET3 has a version for you.
- most AliExpress rotors such as SNAIL / mi.Xim or other re-brands of the same (4 mm thick center) – it’s like they forgot certain steps during machining of these and through luck alone can you fit them on most bikes. They are also horribly tolerated dimension wise and vary in thickness of the braking surface (causing terrible pulsations under braking as the thicker part goes through the calipers)! You should not be riding these anyway.
- Center Lock rotors note: all center lock rotors are compatible with PLANET3 since it mounts on the lock ring itself and not the rotor. Each PLANET3 center lock version will come equipped with a Shimano SM-RT30/70 steel lock ring (included in the price).
General compatibility rules. These are the questions to ask yourself if you'd like to know if PLANET3 can be made compatible with your e-bike:
- Does my bike feature a wheel speed sensor at the dropout with the magnet being mounted on the 6-bolt or Center Lock rotor?
This is the ideal scenario; only remaining constraints are space on the frame and the braking side hub end cap. These we can measure.
- Does my bike feature a wheel speed sensor on the chainstay and a SPOKE magnet?
Actually, PLANET3 can help here, too. The constraints are: space on the frame AND length of sensor cable. For example, this is how GIANT Trance E+ is configured but there's plenty of sensor cable around the motor for it to reach the rear hub where it is then mounted on the PLANET3's ring gear. Same goes for almost all Bosch drive equipped bikes (sensor is 600mm and extra cable slack is tucked under the motor covers).
- How does my 6-bolt hub profile look on the braking side? Does it have any flanges or protrusions inside the 6-bolt hole pattern? How does the braking side end cap look? Is it tapered, staggered or straight?
Best you can do is send a picture of the hub for us to have a look as there are certain geometric conditions that have to be satisfied in order for the PLANET3's sun gear to be compatible with your hub.
So, measure if the sensor cable can reach the hub and if there is room on the frame for a saucer of ~7 mm thickness and ~60 mm diameter. In this case, almost any bike can have a PLANET3 on it!
Terms & conditions
Since there are still people out there that can't be expected to function in the real world and "Starbucks hot coffee" lawsuits are not a thing of the past, let's clear up a few things regarding PLANET3. PLANET3 is a device whose sole purpose is to remove the legally imposed assistance speed limit that is set for Class 1 e-bikes by the EU Regulation 168/2013 (or a similar regulation by your particular government). If it's not clear to you that this would make said e-bike illegal to ride on public roads/surfaces, let me make it clear for you - it does make it illegal. However, de-restricting an e-bike is not illegal if you're going to use it on private land and PLANET3 is sold as such - only to be used on private property. You are, of course, entitled to break any law or regulation of your country as that's your constitutional right. However, you must also be ready to be held accountable and suffer the consequences that arise as a result of your actions. More importantly: suffer them without involving PLANET3! By purchasing a PLANET3 you agree that PLANET3 can't be held liable for any damage, injury, fine or cost to you, your e-bike or anyone else involved in your particular incident.
Warranty against material defects and manufacturing errors on a PLANET3 unit is 1 year and 15 000 km/10 000 miles from the date of your original purchase and extends only to the original buyer. There is also a 50% crash replacement discount for any accidental damage you sustain to your PLANET3 through "act of God" (by which I mean: you fly off the trail into the shrubbery and get some vegetation and/or surrounding geography caught between your frame and the PLANET3). Because I'm a helluva nice guy, damage sustained through your decision to "let a bike mechanic install it for you" or inability to listen and apply my VERY CLEAR AND DETAILED advice from long-as-hell installation instructions will be treated on a case-by-case basis. What this means is: if you're a gentleman, you realize the error of your ways and acknowledge your mistake when I point out that parts that shouldn't be in contact were in contact, that you used a thicker brake rotor that I advised against or without consulting with me, or anything else of the sort - you are likely to be asked just for the cost of shipping and sent a completely new unit free of charge. If you decide that the best thing to do is scream on the internet how "THIS IS GARBAGE, IT'S RUINED AFTER JUST 5 RIDES!" (while you're the main reason why it's ruined) I will use my towering intellect and ability to calmly dismantle your argument fallacies with a degree of eloquent sarcasm that will both entertain the public and completely defeat your initial intention which was to "drive customers away from me". I will gain customers and you will look stupid. It's happened multiple times before and I welcome it each time.