What is planet3?
PLANET3 is an easily installed and reversible way to derestrict your e-bike. It uses a purely mechanical design utilizing a patent pending planetary gear set which makes it undetectable to the bike's electronic gizmos and gives you full control over the choice of speed at which you want to ride your bike.
No more pushing through pudding after hitting the speed limit, virtually no maintanace and no worries. Just you and your e-bike - the way it was meant to be!
PLANET3 is currently compatible (fully tested, working & shipping to customers) with the following models assuming they’re on the stock wheelset/hub that they came with:
- YT Industries Decoy (2019 - )
- Specialized Turbo Kenevo 2nd Gen (2020)
- Specialized Turbo Levo 2nd Gen (2019 - 2020)
- Specialized Turbo Levo 6Fattie (2017 - 2018)
- Specialized Turbo Levo HT (Hardtail)
- Specialized Turbo Levo HT Comp 6Fattie
- Specialized Turbo Kenevo
- Specialized Turbo Vado
- Specialized Turbo Como (one model comes with a CenterLock hub and is NOT compatible!)
- Rocky Mountain Altitude PowerPlay (2018-2020, all models)
- Rocky Mountain Instinct PowerPlay (2019-2020, A50-A70; lower spec models with CenterLock hubs are NOT supported)
- Focus SAM2 (2018-2019, Shimano drive, Novatec & DT Swiss hubs only)
- Focus JAM2 (2018-2019, Shimano drive, Novatec & DT Swiss hubs only)
- Giant Trance E+ Pro (2019, all models)
Hub compatibility for now includes the following:
- Specialized stock hubs (also known as Formula, HiLo, Stout XC Pro)
- Roval SL hubs (DT Swiss re-brand featured on top models)
- DT Swiss hubs (including new Hybrid)
- Hope Pro4 148 boost (requires a modified end cap provided by PLANET3 - 10 EUR extra)
- Syntace HighTorque MX (MicroAdjust has to be replaced with the regular end cap)
- SRAM 746 (same as Specialized hubs, featured on Rocky Mountain e-bikes)
- e*thirteen E-SPEC Race & PLUS (featured on the YT Decoy models, requires a modified end cap provided by PLANET3 - 10 EUR extra)
- NOVATEC D162SB (featured on most Focus e-bikes, requires a modified end cap provided by PLANET3 - 10 EUR extra)
- Giant eTracker Boost (requires a modified end cap provided by PLANET3 - 10 EUR extra)
If you have upgraded your stock wheelset to ANYTHING else (Industry9, Newmen, Chris King, Superstar Components, Nukeproof etc etc.) please contact us first! (and only if this seems to be a popular hub option that many people might find themselves on and you’re willing to do some measuring with Vernier calipers)
Brake rotor compatibility notes – We’ve tried to make PLANET3 compatible with as many 6-bolt rotors as possible. This includes any stamped 1-piece rotor on the market (Shimano RT66, SRAM Centerline, many others) and Shimano RT76 & RT86 2-piece rotors. However, here are some exceptions and combinations which we know CAN’T FIT (due to room constraints on the frame):
- older version of Hope Saw rotor (2,9 mm thick center) on almost any bike
- newer version of Hope Floating rotor (2,6 mm thick center) on Turbo Kenevo and Gen1 Turbo Levo FSR with stock Specialized hubs. If you have a Hope Pro4 148 hub and Hope Floating rotor - then PLANET3 has a version for you.
- most AliExpress rotors such as SNAIL / mi.Xim or other re-brands of the same (4 mm thick center) – it’s like they forgot certain steps during machining of these and through luck alone can you fit them on most bikes. They are also horribly tolerated dimension wise and vary in thickness of the braking surface (causing terrible pulsations under braking as the thicker part goes through the calipers)! You should not be riding these anyway.
General compatibility rules. These are the questions to ask yourself if you'd like to know if PLANET3 can be made compatible with your e-bike:
- Does my bike have a CenterLock rear hub and braking rotor?
If the answer is YES, then we can't help you. Example: most Scott e-bikes.
- Does my bike feature a wheel speed sensor at the dropout with the magnet being mounted on the 6-bolt rotor?
This is the ideal scenario, only remaining constraint is space on the frame itself. This we can measure.
- Does my bike feature a wheel speed sensor on the chainstay and a SPOKE magnet, but also has a 6-bolt hub/rotor?
Actually, PLANET3 can help here, too. The constraints are: space on the frame AND length of sensor cable. For example, this is how GIANT Trance E+ is configured but there's plenty of sensor cable around the motor for it to reach the rear hub where it is then mounted on the PLANET3's ring gear.
- How does my 6-bolt hub profile look on the braking side? Does it have any flanges or protrusions inside the 6-bolt hole pattern? How does the end cap look? Is it tapered, staggered or straight?
Best you can do is send a picture of the hub for us to have a look as there are certain geometric conditions that have to be satisfied in order for the PLANET3's sun gear to be compatible with your hub.
So, CenterLock hubs = big NO NO. Otherwise, measure if the sensor cable can reach the hub, is the hub 6-bolt, is there room on the frame for a saucer of ~7 mm thickness and ~60 mm diameter. In this case, almost any bike can have a PLANET3 on it.
Early bird orders
As you are reading this the full web shop is being built but since the products are ready and people are interested and we like to give the people what they want – anyone who would like to get their hands on a PLANET3 device can do so by sending an e-mail to email@example.com with the following information:
- which exact bike model it’s for (example: Levo 2019 base, comp, comp carbon, expert, s-works)
- are you running the stock/factory wheelset on said bike?
- shipping information
Pricing is as follows:
- 2019-2020 Specialized Turbo Levo FSR (Gen2) - 90 EUR
- 2020 Specialized Turbo Kenevo (Gen2) - 90 EUR
- other Specialized models - 80 EUR
- Rocky Mountain Altitude & Instinct PowerPlay - 90 EUR
- Focus SAM2 & JAM2 - 90 EUR (DT Swiss hub) & 100 EUR (Novatec hub, due to hub end cap)
- Giant Trance E+ Pro - 110 EUR
- 2019 YT Industries Decoy - 100 EUR (base model) & 110 EUR (mid and top model, due to e*thirteen end cap)
If you're on a hub that's compatible but needs a different end cap (such as Hope Pro4, NOVATEC, e*thirteen E-SPEC) the price goes up another 10 EUR for the end cap (already included in the YT, Focus & Giant pricing).
Payments can currently be made via PayPal to paypal.me/planet3bike or via bank transfer to localized banking details in GBP, EUR, USD, AUD, NZD & PLN courtesy of TransferWise, saving us both ~5% in unnecessary PayPal fees. If you'd like to pay via Credit card, you can do that also via PayPal without having an account.
Shipping is FREE, TRACKED and WORLDWIDE! “But do you ship to New Zealand?” – Yes! If it’s on planet Earth, shipping is included in the price. “But what about South Africa?” – YES.
Transit time to EU is roughly 5 days (UK is 5-7 days, Germany a bit less) and rest of the world can be 8-12 days. Please allow 1 day of handling time for me to produce these parts since they’re all in pieces and are assembled for each order.